Monday, September 28, 2009

The coolest thing I ever ate

Okay, maybe not the coolest. But, it sure is cool in more ways than one.

After viewing Saturday's "Sugar Rush" episode of the Food Network show, "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" (who knew someone with my eating habits could be so entertained by this channel), I just had to try Sam's Sundae from the Bi-Rite Creamery in San Francisco, California. Since I'd prefer a raw vegan version, not to mention the fact that I happen to live on the opposite coast, I opted to whip up something similar in my own kitchen.

Now I can see why one of the network's personalities raved about this unusual, but simple, combination of dark chocolate ice cream, olive oil (yes, that does say "olive oil"), coarse sea salt and whipped cream (although I passed on the cream part). Just look at how the olive oil hardens like "Magic Shell" on this dessert, while the sea salt provides the perfect finishing touch.

Try this on your favorite banana-, coconut- or nut-based n'ice cream. I can almost guarantee you'll like it :-)