Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Nothing fishy on this plate


... unless you count the fact that it's not what it looks like. You see, after watching yet another Food Network show, I was tempted to make a rawified version of this originally seafood-based dish.

Giada De Laurentiis (if Hayden stayed in my tummy one extra day, she couldn't shared birthdays with this lovely lady) happily thanked the staff of her show, "Giada at Home," by preparing them some of their favorite dishes, one being a Smoked Salmon and Apple Carpaccio. Inspired by the beauty and simplicity of this recipe, I couldn't wait to make a raw vegan plate of it for myself.

So how does one make a fish dish vegan? Well, I just replaced the fish with fresh produce, in this case red grapefruit to replicate its color. It also tastes yummy paired with crisp green apple slices, a drizzle of olive oil, some capers and a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper. Delish.

On the show, Giada served hers with some toasted bread, so since I I haven't been perfectly raw all the time lately, I opted to have mine with Ezekiel bread. I'm definitely going to have this one again.



*****

tuesday, september 15, 2009 continued ...
........................................................................................................

Rachael makes Banana "Ice Cream" Fakeout


Since posting earlier this a.m., I caught another episode of Rachael Ray's talk show, and you'll never guess what she made. She demonstrated how to make banana-based ice cream in her food processor, except she added a little bit of milk (not that it's necessary). Who knew she would hop on this frozen treat bandwagon?

She also served up a lime/orange/lemonade on yesterday's show, replacing the usual simple syrup with agave. Looks like she's been hanging out with Oprah again (she's the one that got my mom to drink green smoothies). What do you think?