Friday, November 27, 2009

Dressing up your leftovers


Happy day after Thanksgiving everyone. Hope it was a good one.

Unfortunately, I was a bit under the weather for mine, but in the end, I still managed to have a good time. I took it easy, finding vegan fare at both houses, so today I'm whipping up a post-celebration salad with yesterday's untouched ingredients (who wants to eat a dish made by a sick person?).

It seems that is the theme of the day, as many of the morning shows were presenting their own creations out of Thanksgiving leftovers. Some were traditional, while others took their leftovers to another level (think curry and decadent pumpkin/chocolate milkshakes).

I decided to keep mine traditional, since I could barely taste my meal yesterday. Inspired by Rachael Ray's raw stuffing salad (which she served under turkey cutlets; In my opinion, the salad can easily stand alone as the star), I made my own version out of chopped carrot, celery, mushrooms, flat leaf parsley and apples, like hers. Then, I swapped out the bread for almonds and walnuts, and added some dried cranberries to really serve up the whole holiday experience in a bowl.

As for the seasonings, I used sea salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, garlic and some cinnamon for my own special touch. It was all tossed together with some lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and EVOO. It really does taste like Thanksgiving in one dish. Delish!