Monday, November 16, 2009

Sadie's still got it


During Vegan Mofo, one particular cupcake (yes, this Mofo memory actually is a cupcake to start) really caught my eye. It was the Sexy Sadie from the Sweet Avenue Bake Shop I found via the Cooking Vegan With Soul blog. One look at this fine specimen (you can see it in the pic below, courtesy of this Cooking Vegan With Soul post), and I just had to rawify it.

It had been suggested to me to use beets in this red velvet "cake," but unfortunately, when the time came to make it (I have to just go with it when little lady gives me the chance), there were no beets in my kitchen. So, instead, I just did what I always do; worked with what I had on hand.

On that particular day, I had some dried berries (cranberries, blueberries and cherries), as well as some fresh raspberries. The combination of the two were a good substitute for the date paste in my classic raw chocolate cupcake base. The color probably would've been a closer match, if I hadn't accidentally added some of the dried blueberries in with the cranberries and cherries, but the taste more than made up for it.

Since I also didn't have a black cupcake liner, I made my own out of chocolate, like these lovely raw ladies (Heathy and Carmella have been making this kind). I also topped the whole thing off with a generous swirl of raw whipped icing and a sprinkling of finely chopped goji berries for that pop of red color. It may not be rawified red velvet, but it sure is sexy (or in this case, tasty) :-)