Monday, December 21, 2009

Slow and snow


That's in reference to an old-fashioned candy treat we used to make as kids, although it didn't take a long time to make. The "slow" refers to the molasses, as in the phrase, "slow as molasses," while the "snow" is just ordinary snow.

The cooked treat involved boiling the molasses with brown sugar and cooling it in a pan full of fluffy white snow. The results were a cross between a brittle and a taffy-like candy (we weren't always consistent).

Molasses isn't raw to start, but I do consume it from time to time, if it is the Blackstrap kind. It is packed with nutrients, like calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and selenium. Even Brendan Brazier (vegan triathlete, author and creator of Vega products) includes it in some of his recipes.

Today, inspired by the snow outside, I added it to my peach banana n'ice cream with a little ginger, spice and everything nice. I drizzled the molasses to create a fudge ripple effect and mixed in some raw gingerbread cookie pieces for texture (I always make sure to have some leftover cookies in my freezer for projects like this and this; okay, so maybe I used fresh ones for those).

Leave it to me to eat something freezing on a snowy day, while Jacob was smart enough to stick to the traditional hot cocoa. He needed to warm up after pouring himself over the cold stuff. Here he is making snow angels. He can be an angel when he wants to be :-)

This blanket of white has gotten me totally off track, as I meant to post my last holiday cookie. I guess it will just have to wait until tomorrow. Here is a hint as to what it might be: