Friday, June 5, 2015

AB&J "Unbaked" Doughnut Holes

Today is National Doughnut Day (the first Friday in June), and although it is almost over, I wanted to post the yummy "doughnutty" goodness I've been "unbaking." These Cinnamon Maca AB&J (almond butter and jam) Doughnut Holes are so good that I even incorporated them into a smoothie, but I'll tell you more about that in a minute.

To make these scrumptious (one of my favorite words, so you know this is delicious) treats, you'll need to add 1 cup of almond flour, 1 Tbsp. Philosophie Berry Bliss Coconut Butter (love this brand), 1 Tbsp. Jem Organics Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter (this stuff is amazing), 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, a sprinkling of cinnamon (actually, I think I added it before I got the brainstorm to use my beloved Jem almond butter) and tiny bit of sea salt to a mini food processor.

Give all your ingredients a spin in the processor until it looks like a crumbly, yet sticky dough.

Use your hands to shape the dough and divide it into 6 equal sections.

Next, roll the sections into balls and use the handle of a wooden spoon to create a well in each one (I found it helpful to form the balls around the handle, rather than trying to create the well after the balls were formed).

In a bowl, combine equal parts coconut sugar, almond flour and Philosophie Berry Bliss Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder for coating the doughnut holes.

Roll each doughnut hole in the powdery mixture, as shown.

Fill the coated doughnut holes with more Jem Organics Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter and some quick raspberry chia jam (just combine mashed raspberries with a sprinkling of chia seeds; I also added a little Philosophie Berry Bliss Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder, because I like it that much).

These are amazeballs! You really must get a closer look.

And, this is how they look when you take a bite out of one. So good!

Since I'm taking part in Charissa of Colourful Palate's #ColourfulSmoothie #Challenge, I couldn't resist making a smoothie version for National Doughnut Day. I just blended almond milk with frozen banana, Philosophie Berry Bliss powder, cinnamon, vanilla, sea salt and some more almond flour to make the smoothie base. I made it nice and thick, so I could layer it with leftover doughnut hole coating, raspberry chia jam and Jem almond butter. I topped it off with a AB&J doughnut hole. It was my best smoothie yet.

If you try this recipe and/or smoothie idea, let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable or on my Instagram page (also @Rawdorable).

Enjoy your weekend :)