Friday, October 9, 2015

Getting my Coco Detox on with Skinnamon

On Instagram the other day, I teased the new Skinnamon Body + Face Coco Detox with this fun doll in the bathtub pic, before heading up to my own shower to get my Coco Detox on. As you can see in the above pic, it's a dirty job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Why? This 100% natural, chemical-free, vegan scrub/mask claims to exfoliate, detoxify, nourish, hydrate and moisturize your skin. According to the package, "it purifies skin, diminishes age spots, wrinkles, scars and blemishes. Fights acne-causing bacteria and tightens enlarged pores. Improves skin tone and texture. Stimulates collagen production. Enriched with zinc, iron, magnesium, calcium, antioxidants, potassium, minerals, vitamin B complex, nourishing fatty acids, vitamin E. Leaves skin soft, renewed and glowing."

That sounds like a magic scrub/mask to me (I know I keep referring to it as a "scrub/mask," but you'll see what I mean in a minute), although it takes a little effort to use it. Basically, you apply it to damp skin in the shower, and be prepared to get dirty (it actually looks a little like dirt, as you can see through the package).

This cute wooden spoon is provided to help you scoop out this combination of European sea salt, activated charcoal, dead sea salt, organic raw cacao, sunflower oil, virgin coconut oil, apricot oil and vitamin E, although I find it to be easier to transfer just what you need to a separate container.

Transitioning to black and white to keep the next photos a bit classier, you'll need to massage the Coco Detox all over your skin in circular motions (don't do this after shaving, as the salt in this scrub will burn), starting with your feet and hands and moving toward your heart (those of you who dry brush may already be familiar with this technique).

Be gentle on your face and avoid your eye area (and if you get it on your lips, it does taste salty). After scrubbing, let the detox mask do its job for about 5 minutes before washing it away with your favorite cleanser (seriously, you need to use a cleanser to get all of it off your skin, but that's not a big deal when you still need to do that step in the shower process anyway). Then, moisturize your skin, as usual (of course, I'm loving Acure Organics Firming Body Lotion and their dry oil body sprays).

Although this scrub/mask (you understand why I call it that now, right?) is a bit messy, it does exfoliate well, helps to tone my skin, makes my pores appear smaller, clears breakouts and even got rid of the eczema patch I had the other day (I get them when I'm exposed to gluten). It makes your skin really soft and smooth, so it is worth the effort (especially if your significant other is willing to assist in the process).

According to Skinnamon, this product "works great with regular exercise, less coffee, more water, an apple a day, 8 hrs. of sleep" and "a smile in the morning." These are all good things I'd recommend, too.

Have you tried any of Skinnamon's products? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable and/or Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

*Skinnamon sent me this Coco Detox for review. All opinions are my own.