Thursday, February 25, 2010

Butternut Pudding

I don't know why, but I just go through phases. One moment I can't get enough of raw cupcakes, while the next, I can't stop blending up creamy puddings and smoothies.

Now that Hayden is getting more active, I've had less time to construct artistic masterpieces (at least past ones are still posted on my site for your viewing pleasure), settling for on-the-go sludge (they are usually mucked up with greens).

Little lady is 6 months now; time to start solids. As a result, all my bowls look like something for her. When I try to eat with her on my lap, it is a constant fight for the spoon (I guess she has my appetite; this one's for Gena: "My name is shannonmarie, and I love to eat!").

I was the same way at her age, making little hand gestures, signally I wanted more. As a result, I earned the name, "Tubs."

I must have looked like a little Oompa Loompa, since I also had orange skin. Seriously, eating a lot of baby carrots, squash and sweet potatoes (my favorites at the time) can actually give you an orange glow.

As a toddler, I became a big fan of butterscotch pudding. Now that I'm on a pudding kick, I thought why not use the squash to make a similar concoction. It's not quite the same, but it hits the spot.

I opted to forgo the agave and/or maple syrup for just fruit, as I've been trying to cut back. I also went easy on the dates, although a heavier amount would make the flavor more authentic. Anyway, this is what I (not the baby) ate.


Butternut Pudding
1 banana
1 cup peeled and chopped butternut squash
1/2 an apple (pink ladies are the best)
4 small or 2 large dates, soaked (about 1/4 cup)
2 Tbsp. almond butter
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 tsp. vanilla
dash of sea salt
*1/2-1 Tbsp. raw carob and/or mesquite powder (optional, but I think it makes it taste like caramel)
*chopped date for garnish

Add banana, squash, apple, dates, almond butter, chia, vanilla and sea salt (as well as the carob and/or mesquite, if you like) to a high-powered blender and puree until smooth and creamy. Pour into a bowl to set. Garnish with chopped dates.