Thursday, March 29, 2012

Our March Eco Emi has arrived


Every month I can't wait for my Eco Emi box to arrive. Yesterday, I ran right out to the mailbox, as soon as our mail carrier drove away. I just knew my Eco Emi would be there waiting for me.

Sure enough it was, and Hayden and I immediately set up the camera to tape our reactions. It seems to be a trend to share what's inside the box on video and post it asap. I try my best not to peek at those posted before me (although it is tempting).

If you missed them, here's a link to my January Eco Emi post (with follow-up DIY bracelet and earrings), as well as a link to my February Eco Emi post (with Q&A, followed by another DIY bracelet). And below is what Hayden and I received this month in both video form and text (Christine's descriptions, quoted from the enclosed card, and then my thoughts).




Revitalize Shampoo & Conditioner by Greenbody Greenplanet: "Nourish, protect, hydrate and rejuvenate your hair naturally! Revitalize Shampoo gently cleanses and nourishes your hair without stripping naturally needed oils, while the revitalize conditioner uses sunflower oil, which holds on to moisture, softening the hair and preventing breakage."

OMG! I'm such a fan of this line of shampoos and conditioners (they are toxin-free, silicone-free, alcohol-free, cruelty-free, vegan and biodegradable). Last month, I received the Energy shampoo and conditioner from the same line in my Eco Emi box. I liked it so much that Christine from Eco Emi sent me full-size bottles of this month's Revitalizing shampoo and conditioner, along with the Dr. Robin for Kids products she gave me to review. They are natural, vegan and work wonders on my fine, (as in thin; my hair hasn't been considered the other definition of "fine" in years) damaged hair (due to too much heat styling). I totally recommend these.

Vegan Mineral Eye Shadows & Vegan Gel Eyeliner by The All Natural Face: "This is a great company that offers not only super clean and vegan ingredients, but also has more colors available in their products than I have ever seen! Enclosed are four very different eye shadows in Coral, Purple Sunset, Peach Ice, Warm Honey, Olive U and Rose Gold. These shadows work well with a day or evening look. The shadows are very pigmented so a little goes a long way. Your gel eyeliner is in the color That Black and comes with a cute brush. This is a smudge-proof formula that will stay on until you wash it off and is great for a soft look or a more sophisticated look."

The eye shadow samples are so cute, but pose quite a challenge to open. I received Coral and Warm Honey, perfect for a sweet and natural look. I always seem to end up with the best colors in my box.

I can't wait to try the gel eyeliner, as I think it is a much healthier alternative to most liquid eyeliners on the market. Black eyeliner looks so good with a nude or even a deep red lip.

Raw Vegan Bars by Bella Bars: "I LOVE Bella Bars. They are delicious raw vegan delights! You will receive either the Cinnamon or Chocolate bar, both are fabulous! The Bella Cinnamon Bar is the perfect blend of sweet and healthy; the dash of cinnamon gives it a bold cozy flavor. The Bella Chocolate Bar is just the right amount of sweet mixed with rich cocoa powder, giving it a hint of chocolate flavor - without the actual chocolate."

Hayden and I had so much fun reviewing these bars when we won them from Amber Shae's Almost Vegan Chef blog. They taste like oatmeal cookies, and are great as is or as our semi-homemade treat. We received a chocolate bar, but I have to admit that both flavors taste almost identical. They are still very good.


Pomegranate Gum by Vitacare: "This unique gum is enriched with essential vitamins + calcium to provide you with maximized results while remaining truly natural. Vitacare's great taste sensation is a perfect balance of cool mint freshness and pomegranate richness. Sweet, fruity and minty! I am addicted to this stuff!"

I'm not really a gum chewer, but I'm curious if it can help clean and strengthen your teeth while on the go. I can't always brush when I'm out and about, but I can easily pop in a piece of gum in a pinch. I have a feeling I'll enjoy the flavor, too, as I've used this line's tasty toothpaste.

Toothbrush by Vitacare: "Time to recycle your old toothbrush and make way for this fabulous unique toothbrush made from 100% biodegradable and recycled materials. make your teeth whiter and your Earth greener with these brushes. You will receive either the soft or medium bristle brush in a lovely purple shade. Be sure to check out their amazing toothpaste and mouthwash!"

I am a very lucky girl, because Christine of Eco Emi also included a full-size Vitacare Acai Toothpaste (it's cruelty-free and doesn't contain fluoride, parabens, phthalates, petrochemicals, SLS, sulfates, nor artificial colors, flavors and sweeteners) and Alcohol-free Cool Mint Mouthwash in with that Dr. Robin shipment. They taste delicious and leave my whole mouth feeling fresh. I also like that they contain vitamins and minerals to help nourish my teeth.

Now I have a toothbrush to complete my Vitacare experience, although Hayden and I are still arguing over who gets to keep it. I guess I'm going to have to buy one for me, so she can use this one.


Lip tints by Badger: "Natural Mineral Color and Shimmer! Over the years, Badger had many requests for totally natural tinted lip balms. They have taken their popular and super moisturizing Cocoa Butter Lip Balm formula and added minerals to create four natural colors packed with certified organic ingredients."

Of course Hayden grabbed this one up right away. I usually let her have the clear lip balms, but she longs to wear the tinted ones. It's just her size, so maybe I'll let her use it for playing dress up. I like the color, too, though. I guess I'll have to buy one for myself.

I'm a fan of the balms, like the After Sun Balm and Sleep Balm. Christine of Eco Emi sent Hayden a Baby Balm, as well, which she loves. It's no surprise that Hayden and I both want this lip tint.


Pear Tree Specialty Liquid Soap by Old Post Road Oils: "This vegan liquid soap is fantastic for washing any part of your body and is perfect for shaving! This is one of the mildest soaps around due to the oils used which were selected because of their fatty acids. They are all soft oils that are very beneficial to the skin and contain great fatty acids. But despite the mildness, it's still a strong, vigorous cleaner. The formula was initially designed for kids with acne, so that it could gently cleanse their faces and lift oils and dirt from their pores without damaging the skin."

This liquid soap reminds me of a cross between Burt's Bees body wash and the old school Neutrogena liquid soap that many of my friends used growing up. It's gentle, yet gets you clean. It's not fancy, but I like it.

Incense by Auromere Ayurvedic: "I light incense on a regular basis. It's a great way to relax and ground yourself. Made from essential oils, fragrant herbs, powders and resins, ranging from the most heavenly floral fragrances to the down-to-Earth woody and herbal scents of the Ayurvedic preparations, each stick is rolled by hand and packaged in 100% handmade, recycled paper. You will get one surprise scent in either Champa, Cinnamon, Coconut, Gardenia, Musk, Myrrh, Vanilla, Parjata from the Flowers & Spice line or Amber, Cedar, Jasmine, Lavender, Lily, Patchouli, Rose or Sandal from the Aromatherapy set."

I haven't used incense in years. Reminds me of my high school and college days. In fact, I think I still have my old incense holder. I received Champa, which smells like a scent I had "back in the day." This should be fun to light and feel young again, especially since I'm turning 36 next month. Ha ha :-)

*****

As usual, I was very happy with everything I received in my Eco Emi box. It is definitely more than worth $15 a month (shipping is free), so I don't see myself canceling it anytime soon. I have paid for all my boxes, and started these review posts just because I wanted to share them with you. The Dr. Robin for Kids products from this past post were sent to me free of charge for review, and Christine of Eco Emi added the full-size shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash and baby balm listed in this post as a thank you for all that I have posted (she's actually a fan of our site; so cool!). She also thought we'd really enjoy the products, which is true. I wouldn't post about them, if I didn't. Thanks Christine :-)