Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Primrose Ever"green" or Effie Trinket?


Sorry I haven't been online much lately, but I've had my head stuck in a book, as well as my Kindle. I managed to read the entire "Hunger Games" trilogy and see the movie in only a week. Once I started reading, I just couldn't stop, with the exception of everyday tasks, tending to my kids (I encouraged them to read their own books at the same time; Jacob actually read, while Hayden pretended to do the same) and, of course, to help with the chocolate-covered eggs at church (the inspiration for this personalized chocolate egg cupcake from my last post).

I did finish the last book in time to watch Sunday night's "Cupcake Wars." As usual, I was inspired to put my Rawdorable spin on one of the winning cupcakes, this one being the pistachio basil pesto-filled pistachio cupcake with rose water frosting and rose petal garnish made by Mamie Doyle of Miss Mamie's Cupcakes, Cakes and Such. All that sounds like a mouthful, but so delicious at the same time.

I based my unbaked version of the recipe on how she explained it on the show (I couldn't find her recipe online), right down to the pesto, which she mentioned using pistachios, basil, lemon and milk. Instead of the milk, I used more of my
"butterdream" as you'll see in the recipe below:


A Rawdorable Take
on a Pistachio Pesto
& Rose Water Cupcake

*My version of the pistachio basil pesto-filled pistachio cupcake with rose water frosting and rose petal garnish made by Mamie Doyle of Miss Mamie's Cupcakes, Cakes and Such
  • 1/8 cup pistachios
  • 1/8 cup cashews
  • 1/4 cup almond pulp (leftover from making fresh almond milk) and/or almonds
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste
  • 1/4 tsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
  • dash of sea salt
  • Pistachio Basil Pesto Filling (using a personal blender such as a Magic Bullet or a Tribest, process 1 Tbsp. pistachios, 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, the zest of half a small lemon, a tiny squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a dash of sea salt; then, mix in 1/2 Tbsp. of "butterdream" by hand)
  • *"Butterdream" mixed with rose water, to taste (I added about 1/2 tsp. of rose water to the 2 Tbsp. or so of the frosting I used on this cupcake)
  • *a fresh rose petal and basil leaves for garnish
In a mini food processor or blender, grind the pistachios, cashews and almonds/almond pulp into a flour-like consistency, and transfer the "flour" to a bowl.

Next, add the date paste, apple cider vinegar, vanilla and sea salt. Whisk to combine (a whisk helps keep the "batter" fluffier). The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Form the batter into a cupcake shape, leaving a melon ball size valley in the center and a small amount to the side to top it off. Fill the cupcake with the Pistachio Basil Pesto Filling and top it with the excess dough. Carefully blend in the seams.

Frost the cupcake with Rose Water "Butterdream" Icing. Then, garnish with a fresh rose petal and basil leaves. Enjoy!

*****

In the "Cupcakes Wars" episode, Mamie originally dyed the icing on her cupcake blue, which the judges convinced her to change to pink to reflect addition of the rose water (reminds me of the fairies in "Sleeping Beauty" changing Aurora's dress back and forth between blue and pink). Since rose water does not actually color the icing pink, I kept it natural and left my "butterdream" white.

Although my rose petal garnish is not a primrose, the fact that it topped a green cupcake make me think of calling it a Primrose Ever"green" (like Primrose Everdeen, the younger sister of Katniss, who volunteers to be tribute for her in the book) Cupcake.

However, the challenge on the show was more up Effie Trinket's alley (she's the pink-haired lady drawing the names during the reaping scene you've probably seen on t.v.). She'd probably love the fact that it was related to designer shoes, so maybe she'd want a chocolate strawberry stiletto or 24-carrot golden high heel cupcake instead.

The roses also remind me of President Snow, so maybe I should have used a white rose. Anyways, it's funny how this post tied in so well with both the cupcakes and my reading.

Speaking of reading, I've also been enjoying two new cookbooks, "Chloe's Kitchen" by Chloe Coscarelli (first vegan winner of "Cupcake Wars") and "Practically Raw" by Amber Shea of Almost Vegan Chef (winner of last year's Hot Raw Chef Valentine contest). So far, I'm a huge fan of Chloe's Artichoke-Walnut Pesto Crostini (obviously I like pesto), which I serve in lettuce cups, after seeing how the hummus was served at a restaurant Amber posted about (I need to post about her recipes in the future, too, if I remember to photograph them).


Now I'm hungry. Time to wrap up this post. Mmmm :-)

P.S. Remember how I posted my Rawdorable version's of Stephanie Sparkle's winning cupcakes and a Q&A with her? Essential Living Foods has posted her interview from Blythe Raw Live, along with one of her cupcake recipes. Check it out.