Monday, April 27, 2015

Instant DIY Catbird-inspired Earrings

You know I love a good DIY, especially something as simple as this one. In fact, it's so easy that it's basically done for you.

Now, before I get to ahead of myself, let me tell you about the inspiration for today's DIY. My favorite earrings are my gold Catbird Ballerina Earrings. They look like a tiny ballet barre with a delicate chain that wraps around to the back of the earring.


Here is how they look when worn. You can barely see them in this picture, but trust me, they're something special. The gold ones I'm wearing cost $168, but Catbird also has a silver pair on its site for $76.

Of course, I wouldn't mind adding the silver pair (or even the rose gold ones) to my collection in the future, but for now, I figured out an extremely economical substitute.


Jewelry making is a hobby of mine, so I like to stock up on some of the basics. For example, I picked these earring threads the other day. I paid about $2.99 at Michael's for pack with enough in it to make three pairs of dangling earrings.

Each earring thread is a post with a chain attached to it. Notice how the chains are similar to that of the Catbird earrings?


I had considered making a more accurate version of the original earrings, but for now, I'm happy with using the threads without any alterations and/or additions. I just styled them, as shown. The posts are worn in the traditional manner, but instead of leaving the chains to hang straight, I wrapped them around to the back. The larger link at the end of the chain loops over the back of the earring post and is secured with the clear earring back.

Here is how they look on me. That was quick and easy. Now you should have two more pairs to share with your friends.

Let me know on Twitter, if you try styling these earring threads like this. I'm @Rawdorable.