Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Who is that masked woman?

As you know, I'm now an official 100 Percent Pure Approved Blogger, which means I'll be blogging about their latest and greatest products (don't worry foodie followers, as I'll still be posting a mix of food posts, along with beauty and DIY), like today's 100 Percent Pure Caffeine Mask. It claims to "help reduce the appearance of sun damaged skin and make skin appear more hydrated, healthy and glowing."

I have to admit that I was nervous to try this one (not to mention post about it with makeup-free photos, like the before pic above, and a pic of me wearing it; yes, there's a masked photo below). However, my curiosity got to me yesterday, and before I knew it ...

... I ripped open the package, lifted the hydrogel mask (according to the packaging, "the mask material 'hydrogel' is composed from 95% water and 5% plant cellulose made to intensely hydrate.") out of it's watery home (be careful as the mask is delicate and some of the liquid inside the packaging can be a bit messy) ...

... and applied it to my face (now do you get the title of this post? LOL). It took a few minutes to get used to the mask and position it correctly on my face. It sticks and forms better the longer you wear it. The consistency and scent remind me of the slime I used to get out of gumball machines as a kid, but this is firmer and holds its shape better (and is definitely more natural). As for the scent, it is more bearable than the aforementioned slime (I must be smelling the aloe and seaweed collagen).

The ingredients include Coffea Arabica (Green Coffee) Extract, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Arbutin Extract (from Bearberry), Aloe Barbadensis (Organic Aloe Vera), Camellia Sinensis (Organic Green Tea) Extract, Seaweed Collagen, Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Ilex Paraguariensis (Yerba Mate) Extract and Glycerin. It's 100% natural and vegan.

The directions say to apply the mask to clean skin, position it comfortably and leave on for 15-20 minutes. It should thin as you wear it. Since it took a while to start thinning, I left mine on for an hour. Even then, it was still fairly thick. I was able to peel the whole thing off in one piece before rinsing my face with cool water. The first reviewer on the website said she actually reused hers a few times, although I don't know if I'd recommend that.

This is how I looked immediately after removing the mask and rinsing my face (I didn't apply moisturizer, eye cream, etc. before taking this pic). I'm a little pink, due to the fact that I just removed it, but my face was and still is soft, yet firm at the same time. The best part is that my fine lines are plumped up and smoother, less noticeable.

I'm not sure if there's much of a change in my dark spots and freckles (I love my freckles anyway), but who knows what could happen if I continue to use these masks. The directions recommend using them 1-3 times per week.

This mask seems to do more than my usual pure aloe and frozen green tea bag DIY treatment for sun damaged skin, and it's kind of fun. I don't know if I'd use them regularly, but I'd probably treat myself to a mask every once in a while this summer.

Have you tried this caffeine mask, a similar treatment or DIY? Let me know on Twitter at @Rawdorable or on my Instagram (also @Rawdorable).

Speaking of Instagram, I posted my lipstick and makeup look for the day earlier this morning. I'm wearing 100 Percent Pure Fruit Pigmented Pomegranate Oil Anti-Aging Lipstick in Melon, Luminous Primer, Tinted Moisturizer in Peach Bisque, All Over Glow in Deeply Sun Kissed, Lip & Cheek Tint in Peach Glow, eyeshadow from the Pretty Naked Palette (Flaxseed as the base and on the brow bone, Toffee in the crease and the Luminizer on the lid, as it is a really pretty pink), Creamy Long Last Liner in Blackest and Bright Eyes, and the new Maracuja Oil Mascara in Black Tea. I'm also wearing RMS Beauty Living Luminizer and Boot's Botanics Brow Pencil in Medium Brown. Makeup makes a big difference :)

*100 Percent Pure sent me the Caffeine Mask for review. All opinions are my own.