Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Colourful Smoothie Challenge comes to an end

Today is the last day of Charissa of Colourful Palate's Colourful Smoothie Challenge. I've had such a blast making different smoothies each and every day, and posting them on my Instagram page. In case you don't follow me on Instagram, here's a recap of what I've made (with the exception of the smoothies from my first recap and Muffin Batter Smoothie blog post).

On day 14, I made an overflowing Banana Split Smoothie with three layers and toppings. The middle layer is frozen banana blended with almond milk and vanilla. I removed part of it, and then added frozen strawberries and Philosophie Berry Bliss Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder. Once that was blended, I set part of the berry layer to the side and added Philosophie Cacao Magic Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder. I poured the chocolate layer on the bottom of my glass and topped it with pineapple puree. Next, I poured in the vanilla layer and topped it with homemade raspberry chia jam (like in my donut smoothie). Lastly, I added the berry layer and some chocolate sauce (Cacao Magic mixed with maple syrup). I made sure to garnish it with a strawberry and banana slice to make it nice.

On day 16, my savory side took over, so I blended some frozen pineapple with almond milk, Philosophie Berry Bliss Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder and a broken up Honey Smoked BBQ Almond Protein Strong & Kind Bar. I made sure to top it with this Kind Bar slice that looks a bit like a heart.

On day 17, Hayden and I decided to impress Elsa from "Frozen" with this Blue Frozen Honeydew Smoothie. Check out this recent post to see how we naturally turned it blue.

My sweet tooth got the best of me on day 18. It's based on Coracao Confections amazing Berkeley Bar, which is like a raw vegan version of a Snickers. This smoothie starts off as a base of frozen banana, almond milk and vanilla. I reserved a third of the mixture and blended the rest with Philosophie Cacaco Magic powder and a chopped up Berkeley Bar. I drizzled my glass with Jem Organics Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter and then layered in my chocolate and vanilla layers (sandwiching the vanilla between the two chocolate layers). I garnished it with more Berkeley Bar pieces.

My hubby's birthday is June 19, so I made a Colourful Coconut Funfetti Birthday Cake Batter Smoothie. Inspired by my Muffin Batter Smoothies, it has a base of frozen banana, cashew milk, almond flour (that's what gives it that cake batter texture), vanilla and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I stirred in some naturally dyed coconut sprinkles (see this posted to find out how to make natural blue food coloring. I used strawberry juice for the pink, and pineapple juice and freeze-dried pineapple for the yellow). I topped it with more sprinkles and an Elsa cookie from this recent blog post.

On day 20, I was inspired by my 100 Percent Pure Vitamint Fruit Pigmented Sheer Lip Color in Vino, as well as another Coracao Confections truffle (I had a wine one preserved in my freezer). I blended frozen red grapes, a little bit of water and some Philosophie Cacaco Magic powder, poured it into a wine glass and garnished it with more red grapes and that truffle I mentioned.

I stuck to the grape theme on day 21 with a Green Grape Smoothie. It's just frozen green grapes, aloe vera juice and Philosophie Green Dream Vegan Protein & Superfood Powder. It's garnished with more green grapes. It also matches my 100 Percent Pure Eye Creamstick in Forest (check out my review of all the colors).

I was having another chocolate craving on day 22, so I made a Chocolate Covered Cherry Maca Smoothie with frozen cherries, cashew milk, vanilla, Philosophie Cacao Magic powder and some extra Navitas Naturals Maca (there's maca in the Cacao Magic, but I added more, as it goes so well with the chocolate and cherries). It's topped with a frozen cherry and a Coracao Confections raw chocolate heart.

On day 23, I had just heard about Gwyneth Paltrow teaming up with Juice Beauty to create a new makeup line. Naturally, I was inspired to make my version of her Red Smoothie. My version still has the raspberries, strawberries, goji berries and almond milk. I used Philosophie Berry Bee for the Manuka honey and amped up the berry goodness with some more Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I skipped the coconut oil and the yogurt, but topped it off with a sprinkling of more goji berries.

Gwyneth's Red Smoothie was such a hit that I made my version of her Almond & Kale Smoothie on day 24. Like her smoothie, I blended kale with almond milk, almond butter, raw almonds and dates. I subbed the coconut oil with Philosophie Green Dream Coconut Butter, and added some Green Dream powder and vanilla, too.

On day 25, I was inspired by a Candy Cane Smoothie I once saw Lauren post about on her blog. The original was a blend of frozen banana, strawberries, almond milk, cashews and mint. I made a candy cane stripe version with a basic banana and almond milk smoothie, layered with a pink minty berry lemonade smoothie. The pink layer has frozen banana, strawberries, cashews, Wild Poppy Juice Peppermint Lemonade and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder.

I finished up my Peppermint Lemonade Wild Poppy Juice on day 26. I made a layered Peppermint Berry Lemonade Slushie Smoothie out of it. The pink/red layer is a blend of the peppermint lemonade with frozen strawberries, cherries, pomegranate seeds and cranberries. The purple layer is the same peppermint lemonade blended with frozen blueberries, blackberries and more cherries. I added Philosophie Berry Bliss powder to both layers.

There were terrible thunderstorms with a sited tornado headed our way on day 27. In case the power went out (or worse), I made a decadent smoothie to get me through until the next time I'd get to use my blender. It's a Frozen Banana N'ice Cream S'more Smoothie. I made a smoothie base out of frozen bananas, cashew milk and vanilla. Then, I layered it with drizzles of Jem Organics Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter and a quick chocolate sauce (Cacao Magic powder mixed with maple syrup). I also layered in some mock graham cracker crumbs (almond flour mixed with more of the Jem almond butter).

I finally tried the Blood Orange Chili Wild Poppy Juice on day 28. I made a quick slushie smoothie by blending it with frozen strawberries, fresh peaches and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I added a strawberry and peach slice to the top to make it pretty.

On day 29, I was looking a little worn out from the challenge, but really I had just been Slip 'N Sliding with the kiddos outside for the day. This overflowing Berry Good Peanut N'ice Cream Kombucha Float really hit the spot. It's just frozen bananas, natural peanut butter, vanilla and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder whipped in my mini food processor into an ice cream consistency, which I scooped into my glass. Then I poured the Gingerberry GT Kombucha over the top and watched the magic happen (I totally recommend doing this outside, even if it starts melting before you can get a photo of it).

My last smoothie ended with a cherry on top. I made a Berry Cherry Shirley Temple Smoothie (I loved drinking Shirley Temples as a kid), starting with a blend of cherries, strawberries, cherry seeds and more of that Gingerberry kombucha. I set that mixture aside while I blended a base of frozen bananas, strawberries, Gingerberry kombucha and Philosophie Berry Bliss powder. I swirled the smoothie base and the berry mixture in my glass and topped it off with a cherry. It was a perfect ending to this fun challenge.

Speaking of an ending to this challenge, I also posted this sunset from the other day on my Instagram page. Now that's a perfect ending to a beautiful day :)