Sunday, November 18, 2007
Another morning, another workout and yet again, another green smoothie.
Here I go again (sounds like an old Whitesnake song from my youth), starting out my day with a tall glass of water, the Girls Next Door workout (my husband surprised me with the DVD, since I've been doing their workout OnDemand) and then a green smoothie (stop me if I start sounding like a broken record).
But, this wasn't just any green smoothie, it was a spin off of my usual Sunday morning beverage or my version of a "cup of Joe" (I no longer touch that stuff). Instead of just having any old chocolate version of this chlorophyll packed liquid refreshment, I experimented with my love of cilantro.
This smoothie contained a ton (not literally) of greens, bananas, wheatgrass, spirulina, a probiotic, maca, raw cacao powder and coconut butter, as well as the addition of cinnamon, cayenne pepper and, of course, a bunch of cilantro. It sounds weird, but it tastes great. It's like a fiesta in a glass. It sort of reminds me of the Mexican hot chocolate I would sample at the Children's Museum in D.C. as a child.
Once I blend up my smoothie, I usually enjoy it at my computer as I catch up on e-mail and check out the blogs of my fellow raw foodies in the community. There is an extensive list on the Raw Food Right Now website. Following other raw food bloggers helps me stay on track, especially since most of the people around me don't live this lifestyle (except for me friend and raw food buddy, "Raw"bin: She made that up herself; she should use it to start her own blog. Hint, hint).
In the process of perusing the other blogs, I became inspired (I use that word a lot; I think I need to pick up a Thesaurus) by Freedom's, a.k.a. The Raw Vegan Princess, blog from a couple days ago, where she gave her answers to a questionnaire from Vegan Mofo. I thought I'd share my answers on my blog, as well.
1. Favorite home-made nut (non-dairy) milk? At the moment, mine is pumpkin seed (not actually a nut) milk sweetened with dates and pumpkin pie spice, perfect for fall.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to make? This changes all the time, but for this week, I'd like to make the Pasta Primavera on the Sunny Raw Kitchen site, a new version of my cinnamon rolls and a Thanksgiving meal.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn? I don't eat popcorn anymore, but I like to substitute spiced pumpkin seeds.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure? I've had many, but I can't think of a specific one at the moment. I guess my attempts at essene bread have not had the best results.
5. Favorite pickled item? Raw pickles, of course.
6. How do you organize your recipes? Organize? That's something I still need to do :-)
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal? I really need to start composting.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be? Spinach, bananas and raw chocolate (surprised that I didn't say, cilantro?).
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Baking with my mom. Now, we make green smoothies together. Next, I hope to teach her how to make raw versions of our old baked goods.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Anything raw. I really like my versions of Cherry Garcia and Mint Chip.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance? Blendtec
12. Spice/herb you would die without? Cilantro
13.Recipe (Cook) book you have owned for the longest time? Probably the kid's cookbook that I've had since I was little, but as for raw "cookbooks," my first purchase was "Raw: The Uncook Book" by Juliano when it came out years ago.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? pureed goji berries
15. Favorite raw (vegan) recipe to serve to an omni friend? guacamole; even my mother-in-law likes it.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? When I have eaten a cooked meal, I prefer tofu due to its versatility.
17. Favorite meal to make or time of day to make it? Smoothies are easy to make and the options are limitless. I love them anytime of day, although I usually have one in the a.m.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? My second dehydrator that I primarily use for warming raw foods.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. I tend to freeze leftover raw goodies for future treats. I think I currently have raw pumpkin muffins with cashew frosting, cookie dough morsels and fudge from Naked Chocolate.
20. What's on your grocery list? A lot of greens :-)
21. Favorite grocery store? Trader Joe's or Whole Foods
22. Name a recipe you'd love to rawify (veganize), but haven't yet. Marshmallows. I don't know where to start. I wish Sarma would share her Raw Chocolate Mallomar recipe she sells at Pure Food and Wine, or put them on her site for sale.
23. Food blog you read the most. Or maybe the top 3? Raw Food Right Now, We Like It Raw and Kristen's Raw
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? Anything chocolate :-)
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately? Raw cacao butter
26. Veganaise or Nayonaise? I'm not a big mayo fan.
27. What is one recipe, ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without? Green smoothies!
28. Do you have a food inspiration in your life? Someone who taught you a lot about making a certain dish, or about food prep in general, or someone who taught you how to truly enjoy food? It can be someone you know or a book author, speaker...anything. My mom. Whenever she travels somewhere or goes to an event, she always has to tell me about the food. She even taught me how to make my first dishes.
So, now is your turn. If you have a blog, have fun posting your answers on your site. I'd love to read them.
Posted by shannonmarie at 7:38 AM