Sunday, November 11, 2007

Shake your money maker!



There I go again with the exclamation point. I promise I won't make a habit of this (adding an "!" to the end of all my post titles). I just needed to express the energy I am feeling right now as I drink my "Shake Your Money Maker: Super-Food Shake" from Matt Amsden's "Rawvolution" book.

This super-duper shake contains raw carob, cacao (powder and butter), agave, goji berries, hemp protein, raw almond butter, pumpkin seeds, mesquite, lucuma, maca, coconut butter, vanilla, sea salt and spirulina; everything but the kitchen sink. The list is so long that I may have missed something, but if you want to double check, you've gotta get your hands on this book.

Now, I did make some substitutions. For instance, the real recipe calls for cashews or hemp seeds, and I opted to use pumpkin seeds. I think I was inspired by Raw Model, who uses them in his super smoothies. I also used water instead of the water and flesh from 2 Thai coconuts (Well, if you've read one of my previous posts, you know that story).

This smoothie is very thick and satisfying; it takes a while to drink it. If you let it chill for a while, it also makes a good pudding.

The yummiest ingredient in this shake is the raw cacao butter, which I purchased online at NaturalZing. You can make this recipe without it, but the addition of the cacao butter really puts it over the top.

I'm also bouncing off the walls, because yesterday, Dhrumil from We Like It Raw mentioned me on his Quickies page. I've also had comments posted on my blog from Tanja of Freshtopia and Kristen of Kristen's Raw. Thanks you guys :-)

Today is going swell (There I go being cheesy again). I got in another morning workout, had a vanilla, lucuma, banana green smoothie (the name says it all), followed by this afternoon "shake," and now, I am sitting in the sunshine (The blinds are open near the computer), hopefully getting a healthy dose of vitamin D (can I get it through the window? Maybe I should go outside).

P.S. I tried to get my shirt in the pic with my smoothie (I've gotta stop taking my own pics). I made it this summer and dug it out again this morning since I have this blog. It says "(RAW)DORABLE" on the front, and "Be Cute Eat Fruit" with a little strawberry on the back. I was inspired by the Gap's Red Campaign and the shirts on this cute site.