Thursday, October 8, 2009

Brrrrr ... berry balsamic


It's gotten cold outside, but it hasn't deterred me from whipping up cool treats. This one is inspired by an episode of Iron Chef.

You wouldn't think that a vegan would be interested in such a show, due to the chefs' excessive use of meat (Matthew is always asking me why I watch it), but it seems as though I'm not the only non-meateater who's a fan. Some mofo-ers on the Post Punk Kitchen message board (I've gotta stop lurking and join in the conversation) think an Iron Chef-like competition would be a great idea for a Vegan Mofo III post.


I'd love to participate in something like that, and since my ingredient selection isn't as broad lately, I often feel like I'm trying my best to make as many dishes as I can out of "the secret ingredient" (what ever I have on hand).

When I do watch Iron Chef, I steer clear of the meat episodes, opting to view the fruit, veggie, nonanimal proteins and condiment battles. Some favorite secret ingredients have been coconut, avocado and most recently, balsamic vinegar.

In this battle, both sides attempted sorbets, but had trouble with the end result from their machines. If they had just used this tried-and-true method, they would've been solid (literally).

Just like banana n'ice cream, all you need is a food processor or high-powered blender. After a quick spin in one of these, frozen strawberries are transformed instantly into sorbet. Try it and see (although I'm sure most of you are already experts at this).

Strawberry Balsamic Sorbet
Frozen strawberries
Balsamic vinegar, to taste
Dash of sea salt

Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process into a sorbet consistency. Scoop into a serving glass or bowl. Garnish with fresh strawberries. Enjoy!

This reminds me of a grown up slushie or snow cone. Have fun drizzling extra balsamic over the top :-)