Friday, October 16, 2009

It's that time of year again



October not only means Vegan Mofo, but it also time to make some raw vegan Halloween treats. Since it is only a couple weeks away, I thought now would be the perfect time to share this year's festive cupcake.

Now, let me remind you that my family is not entirely vegan, nor raw. Therefore, while some of them were indulging in cupcakes baked from this box, I opted to still feel like a part of the scene by rawifying it into my own version.

It probably doesn't taste the same, but it was yummy to me. It even looks a lot like the real deal.

Instead of using artificial sprinkles, I mimicked the colors with coconut flakes, cacao nibs and orange zest. I even decided to make the "cake" in a 50/50 ratio of cashews to coconut to keep it pale like the white cake mix in the box (I actually made double the amount of "flour" I needed, opting to save half for another cupcake I'll be posting soon).

This cupcake is about as natural as they get, although I have to admit that I cheated on the icing. Hoping to achieve the orange hue, I added a bit of orange juice. Unfortunately, it was too light, so I added a some food coloring (but let's keep that our little secret).

What's not a secret is the recipe, which unfortunately only makes one cupcake (I could've gone for two). That's how I'm able to test out so many different flavors in a short amount of time. Feel free to double, triple or even quadruple the recipe.


Rawified Pillsbury Halloween Cupcake
*Makes one cupcake for those times you just want what everyone else is having. Feel free to make a larger batch if needed.
  • 1/4 cup cashews, ground into flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut flakes, ground into flour
  • dash of sea salt
  • 1 Tbsp. date paste
  • touch of vanilla
  • 1/2 Tbsp. cacao nibs
  • 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest
  • raw whipped icing (use this whipped cream recipe)
  • more coconut flakes, cacao nibs and orange zest for decorating
In a small bowl, combine the cashew and coconut flours (I ground up 1/2 cup of each, divided the "flour" in half and saved half for later use; it makes life easier if you plan on making more) and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add the date paste and a touch of vanilla. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire). Stir in the cacao nibs and orange zest, so it speckles the dough. Form it into a cupcake shape.

Frost the top of the cupcake with the icing (I cheated by dying it with orange food coloring, but you can turn it yellow naturally with the addition of some turmeric. At that point, a little berry juice might change it to orange; I just lacked the time to try it), and decorate it with a sprinkling of coconut, cacao nibs and orange zest. As always, enjoy!

*****

friday, october 16, 2009, continued ...
.........................................................................................


Here's what the kiddies are doing

Since getting involved in Vegan Mofo, I haven't posted as many updates about my kids. This blog was not only created to showcase raw vegan food, but also to keep my friends and family updated as to what is going on in my life, including the little ones.

Hayden and Jacob are bonding well, as you can see in this photo (Hayden was blowing bubbles, so there is drool on her chin). They are wearing matching orange shirts for the Halloween season. Hayden's says, "Baby's 1rst Halloween," while Jacob's says, "Will trade sister for candy." Luckily, he has no plans of following through on that statement; he just thinks it is funny :-)

I also found another raw vegan Halloween treat Jacob is going to love, thanks to this Rawkin Mom. It's an orange packed to look like a Jack-o-lantern, which I hope to surprise him with in his lunch one day. Check it out.