Tuesday, October 13, 2009

3 in 1 cookie dough


Not in the sense that you can make three different cookies out of this dough, but I am providing you with three methods of "unbaking" them.

Since little lady has come into my life, I have a lot less time to experiment in the kitchen and with a less extensive list of ingredients. Poor girl doesn't always digest certain foods as well as her mommy (breastfeeding babies can react negatively to certain things in mom's diet), so I've had to downsize my options a bit.

At least she seems to do okay with a mostly raw vegan diet, which includes chocolate. What would us girls do without chocolate?

The answer: eat peanut butter?

Unfortunately, she gets fussy/gassy with peanut butter, so it is off the menu (thank goodness I can still have my chocolate). Instead, I've found options that taste a little like good old fashioned PB.

Like these quick and easy cookies, which I was inspired to post after receiving a recipe for a baked version in my VegNews e-newsletter (actually I had already planned to post them; it was just a coincidence, like Averie and I are always noticing. Even the Vegetarian Times e-newsletter was on my wavelength with their Plum Crumble. Oh why can't I find plums again to make my version?). The key ingredient is the apple cider vinegar; it really livens up these childhood treats.

My recipe only makes four cookies, but that is all I need to satisfy my craving before Hayden needs my attention again (I don't eat all four at once, but it is a small enough amount to make in a hurry). I've also provided a fast flour for you to keep on hand.

Fast "flour"
  • almonds
  • cashews
Add almonds and cashews to your food processor in a 50/50 ratio. Process into a flour. Keep on hand for quick cookie, cupcake, muffin, etc. preparation.

*If you have the time, it is best to soak the nuts first and dehydrate to dry them again. You can also combine this with leftover nut pulp from making nut "milk" to lighten the "flour" and use up the leftover pulp.


Quick and Easy Tastes Like PB Cookies
  • 1/4 cup almond butter
  • 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
  • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
  • Dash of sea salt
  • 1/2-3/4 cup fast "flour" (recipe above)
  • 1/8 cup flaxmeal

In a small bowl, combine the nut butter (mine was on the thick side, since it was near the bottom of the jar; if your jar is new, you may need to hold off on the stirring part and avoid the separated oil at the top to achieve the right consistency), agave, vinegar and sea salt.

Add 1/2 cup of the "flour" and the entire 1/8 cup of flaxmeal. Stir to combine. If your almond butter was on the thinner side, you might need to add an extra 1/4 cup of "flour" to thicken your dough.

Divide the dough into four sections and roll into balls. Use a damp fork to flatten the balls into cookie-shapes, leaving that familar cross-hatched pattern on top.

Now for the 3 in 1 part: Either "bake" your cookies in your dehydrator to warm them through, firm them in your fridge or save them until later in your freezer (they're great icy cold, straight from the ice box, as my Granny would say). Enjoy!

This recipe was brought to you in the spirit of Vegan Mofo III.