Monday, October 26, 2009

Ugh ... I need a new camera


I may have not mentioned it lately, but my camera is officially dead. In its place, I've been using my son's camera, which is really meant for taking video instead of pictures. My only option is to point, click and hope for the best, as it does not have the best focus or resolution.

Amazingly, I have taken some decent shots lately, but only when the food is the right color, the lighting is perfect, there's no glare, and I'm at the correct distance. Unfortunately, this was not one of those times, as none of these conditions were correct.

This is actually a scrumptious looking raw cupcake in person, but due to it's lack of color separation and some bad lighting (it was stormy that day), it appears not as appetizing (you can barely tell that there is a raspberry, as opposed to a cherry, on top). However, I opted to post about it anyway, so you can try to make one (or more, as this recipe makes 3 to 4 cupcakes, depending on the size) and appreciate it in person.

If you have made my cupcakes before, you'll probably notice that the base is the same as for my Rawtess and rawified Cookies 'N Cream Cupcakes. I just wanted to present them in another way, while keeping the recipe accessible, especially for first time visitors to my blog.

Double Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 2 cups nut flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/4-1/2 cup date paste
  • 2-4 Tbsp. coconut milk
  • generous drizzles of agave nectar, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of sea salt
  • a batch of raw whipped icing, combined with as little or as much cocoa powder to suit your tastes
  • raw chocolate shavings (I used these chocolate rocks) for garnish
  • fresh raspberries to top them all off
In a large bowl, combine the nut flour (a mixture of finely ground nuts of your choice combined with leftover nut pulp from making your favorite nut milk; I like using finely ground almonds, mixed with a little hazelnut and Brazil nut pulp), cocoa powder (use the raw cocoa powder if you can get it, which is not the same thing as just grinding up some cacao nibs) and sea salt. Stir with a whisk or use an electric mixer.

Next, add about 1/4 cup of the date paste, 2 Tbsp. of the coconut milk (although any thickened nut milk will do; I bet Brazil nut milk would be lovely in this) and the vanilla. Whisk/mix, paying close attention to the consistency of the batter. Add agave to taste, and more of the date paste and coconut milk as needed. Whisk/mix to combine. The batter should be moist, but not so damp that it requires "baking" in a dehydrator (although you could if you desire).

Divide the batter into sections and form them into cupcake shapes. Decorate each cupcake with a generous piping of raw icing mixed with cocoa powder, and top with raw chocolate shavings and a fresh raspberry. Delish!

This recipe was brought to you as part of Vegan Mofo.

On another note, Hayden and I went to my friend Becky's baby shower this weekend, and since she loves chocolate (I think this cupcake caught her eye out of the photo preview), Jacob and I made sure to decorate some onesies for her with the decadent stuff as the theme. Check them out:

This one was inspired by the raw cupcake one I made for Hayden. As you know, I craved cupcakes with her. Becky, on the other hand, has been making her own ice cream, so this one says, "Dreaming of ice cream with sprinkles. Boys can like chocolate, too!"

Jacob wanted to get in on the ice cream and chocolate action, too. He painted an ice cream cone in the center with chocolate ice cream scoops on the sleeves. Then, he asked me to do the writing on it, which says, "I scream for ice cream." Did you notice the baby's arm trying to get a scoop with his spoon on the front?

Last, but not least, is this little number that's a play on the Godiva name (I know it's not vegan, but I liked the idea). It says, "A gift from GODIVA." Get it?