Monday, October 5, 2009

The Mighty B


Well, Hayden's vision is definitely improving, as she was quite entertained by "The Mighty B" on Nickelodeon yesterday. But don't worry; I didn't let her sit in front of the T.V. all day.

I didn't stay glued to the tube either. Instead, I kept busy making this raw vegan snack. They are a modified version of Brendan Brazier's Rejuvenator Brownies, "baked" in my old-school dehydrator (there's another rhyme for you Veggie Girl).

I was inspired by the cartoon we were watching, since "The Mighty B" is about Bessie Higgenbottom, a Honey Bee scout.

Those of you who've been reading my blog from the beginning know that I, too, was once a scout. I've rawified my memories of this by making an uncooked camper's stew, as well as five different flavors of my favorite Girl Scout Cookies (you can find three of the recipes here and the other two here).

I also remember baking brownies at camp in a foil-lined cardboard box. I guess you could say they were "sun-baked."

This reminded me of how I sometimes take various cooked recipes and transformed them into raw ones by just substituting a couple ingredients and swapping out the oven for my trusty dehydrator. Brendan's brownie is one of those recipes.

Since I did modify it a bit, I'm willing to share it with you. Keep in mind, these are geared to athletic types, who are looking for a natural substitute to a prepackaged energy bar. If you want something more decadent, revisit my "million dollar" mint chocolate brownie recipe instead.

Mighty Brownies
Modified version
of Brendan Brazier's

Rejuvenator Brownie recipe
  • 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
  • 1/3 cup carob (or cocoa) powder
  • 1/4 cup ground flax
  • 1/4 cup finely ground sesame seeds
  • 1/4 cup finely ground coconut flakes
  • 1/4 cup chopped almonds
  • 1/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 chopped pineapple pieces
  • sprinkle of sea salt
  • agave to taste
  • water, as needed

Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Then, puree the pineapple pieces and almond milk in a food processor or blender, and add to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine.

Add a little agave or other liquid sweetener to this mixture to suit your tastes (although I sometimes leave it out all together). The amount you use will determine if you'll need to add water and, if so, how much. The batter should be damp enough to incorporate all the dry ingredients, but stiff enough to form into individual brownie servings.

Next, form the mixture into brownies. Allow them to set in the fridge until ready to eat, or "bake" them in your dehydrator for an hour or so, to warm them and create that crispy outside we all love (the corners were always my fave).


By the way, I'm going to be official now. Kittie said she'd add me to the Vegan Mofo list. I guess I will be posting a whole month of vegan food after all (at least I'm going to try). Enjoy :-)