Monday, March 30, 2015

Decorated Apple Faux-nuts

Today is the first official day of Spring Break in our house. It's going to be nice to have the kids home ... when they finally roll out of bed. Ha ha. For now, I'll take advantage of the fact they are not up yet by doing this blog post.

Although I don't post my kids much anymore or do YouTube videos, we still enjoy making fun foods in our kitchen laboratory. For example, Hayden and I made an oldie, but a goodie yesterday for snack. I can't believe I've never posted this one on my blog, so it's about time I did.

Decorated Apple Faux-nuts are a fruiti-licious (I just made up that word) spin on the classic doughnut, using an apple ring as the base and whatever scrumptious combination of frosting, drizzles and sprinkles on top.

Here's how easy it is to make them:

First cut your apples (we used Pink Lady and Granny Smith apples) in half, as shown, so the core appears as a little star in the center.

Next, use an apple-corer or knife (I used a knife) to remove the cores, making the apple halves resemble doughnuts.

Once your Apple Faux-nuts are formed, it's time to decorate with whatever you like and/or have in your kitchen at the time. Here's what we picked this time:

We made a Chocolate Trail Mix Apple Faux-nut by decorating a Granny Smith apple with Jem Hazelnut Raw Cacao Sprouted Hazelnut Butter, a drizzle of Jem Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter (my fave) and a sprinkling of Simply Balanced Organic Dark Chocolate Trail Mix (this trail mix has cashews, almonds, pumpkin seeds, coconut flakes, raisins and dark chocolate). This combo reminds me of a Nestle Chunky Bar.

Hayden is all about pink, anything Berry Bliss and freeze-dried fruit. Therefore, we topped a Pink Lady Apple Faux-nut with Philosophie Berry Bliss Coconut Butter and a dusting of crushed freeze-dried strawberries and pineapples.

I thought a Green Apple Cinnamon Faux-nut was a no-brainer, so I decorated a Granny Smith Apple Faux-nut with Philosophie Green Bliss Coconut Butter, a drizzle of Jem Cinnamon Red Maca Sprouted Almond Butter and a sprinkling of hemp seeds.

Lastly, we went with a more traditional apple topping. Our Chocolate Chunk AB&Honey Apple Faux-nut is dripping in almond butter, a drizzle of Philosophie Cacao Bee Honey and finished off with some chocolate chunks. Yum!

Since I've had this blog for so long, sometimes it's nice to provide links to more oldie, but goodies. Here are some more unbaked doughnut recipes you may remember: