Sunday, December 21, 2008

Survey says ...


It's time for a Christmas questionnaire, courtesy of Nicole Brenny from her Nicole Raw & Awake blog. Here are my answers. Feel free to share some of yours.

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
I prefer gift bags, because they are quick, easy and a good way to recycle. In our family, we hang on to all the bags we receive and reuse them to wrap other gifts. We have a Star Wars bag that's been making the rounds for about 8 years.

2. Real tree or artificial tree?
I hate to admit it, but although I love real trees, ours is artificial. Again, we continue to get use out of it every year. It's about as old as that gift bag.

3. When do you put up the tree?
The day after Thanksgiving, of course. Jacob makes sure of it.

4. When do you take down the tree?
When we get around to it. I just hate to admit that the holiday is over. But don't worry; I do take it down before the end of January.

5. Do you like eggnog?
I like the raw kind, especially in cookie form.

6. Do you have a stocking? What does it look like?
Jacob, Matthew and I all have stockings. They are knit like sweaters. Mine is red with a white cuff at the top and green buttons down the side. Matthew's looks just like mine, but the cuff is green. Jacob's is green with a red cuff and red buttons.

When I was little, my mom sewed all of our stockings out of red felt with our names down the side in bold white letters. Always with a good sense of humor, she made sure she cut the fabric to include toes at the end.

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My husband is so particular. He also doesn't understand the concept of not buying things for yourself leading up to Christmas.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
My mom loves anything I give her, or at least she lets me think she does.

9. Do you have a nativity scene?
Yes. It is a Fisher Price Little People set my mom gave to Jacob for his first Christmas. My sister just told me yesterday that she recently came across one of our missing figures.

10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Mail is so much more personal, but it's also nice to receive e-mail wishes from those who do not know your physical address.

11. Most memorable gift you ever received?
My son was born not long before Christmas 2002. He is the best gift ever.

12. Favorite Christmas movie?
"It's a Wonderful Life"

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
I start shopping a couple months ahead of time. I hate to leave anything until the last minute.

14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Actually, I think I have.

Every year, my mom's side of the family gets together and participates in a game. We each bring a present and set it in the center of the room. Then, we all draw numbers and, based on the number drawn, select gifts from the pile in that order. When it's your turn, you can either decide to keep the gift, or swap it with someone else in the room.

This year, my grandmother had the idea of having us all bring items from our homes instead of purchasing new gifts. I think what I brought was something I received as a Christmas present a while back. It was a leather purse (I don't carry/wear leather), which I hid a $10 bill inside.

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
Clementines

16. Lights on the tree?
Of course :-)

17. Favorite Christmas song?
"We Wish You a Merry Christmas" has been my favorite, since Jacob first learned to sing it. Now he won't stop. Ha ha :-)

18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We don't go far, but we don't get to stay home either. I work Christmas Eve day, and then we go to Matthew's grandmother's house that evening. Christmas day is spent at my parent's house.

19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer?
You betcha. I was determined to know them all as a kid, and I still do thanks to this song:

"You know Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen,
Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen,
But do you recall,
the most famous reindeer of all?"

You can't forget Rudolph
.

20. Angel on top of the tree or a star?
It varies from year to year. Right now we have an angel Jacob made out of paper plates in school.

21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning?
Presents are opened on Matthew's side of the family on Christmas Eve. Then, Santa brings toys on Christmas, followed by more gift unwrapping at my parent's house.

22. Most annoying thing about this time of year?
Having too much to do with not enough time to do it. I think I need some more days in December.

23. Favorite ornament theme or color?
Little white Christmas lights

24. Favorite for Christmas dinner?

Dessert

25. What do you want for Christmas this year?

Time with friends and family

26. Who is the most likely to respond to this?

Someone who cares :-)

27. Favorite Christmas tradition?
I like relaxing at home with my hubby and son the day after Christmas.

So you may be wondering why there is a pic of broccoli salad at the top of this post. Well, it just wouldn't be like me to blog without a photo. Therefore, I snapped a quick pic of these little trees I dressed up to share with my family. Happy holidays!