Friday, September 30, 2011

Apple Carving & Vegan (Un)Baking Day!


Happy Vegan Baking Day everyone! What's everybody baking & unbaking today?

Although I do sometimes still bake in my oven, I usually prefer to "unbake" in my dehydrator or just "rawify" a traditional baked good. Hayden, Jacob (yes, he's off from school; it's our county fair day) and I put together this fun video (if you watch it, you get to see more of Hayden in this brightly colored wig), showing how to make a quick and easy muffin with some more Fresh Apple-Fig Butter, as you may remember from our post the other day.




The Fresh Apple-Fig Butter acts as the binder/sweetener, much like the usual date paste in my raw cupcakes. Since it's already spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamom, there's no need to add any more to the nut "flour" base (unless you want a little more). Now that really simplifies the process.

The raw muffins don't need to be baked, although you can warm them in your dehydrator to really get in on the Vegan Baking Day celebration. You can even "unbake" the Apple Cups sans Cake (but don't do this to the a la mode, as it will surely melt too soon; you can still add it after the "unbaking" process) from our last post to make them more like the baked apples my mom used to make.

Speaking of those apples, I explained a little more in the video, as to how to easily cut them to perfectly fit your reusable silicone cupcake liner. I would have actually cut the apple step-by-step, but we are on an apple carving kick at the moment.

Tomorrow marks the first day of October and the countdown to Halloween. Since we don't have pumpkins in the house yet, it's fun to practice on apples for a spooky treat. You can fill them with nut butter and decorate with dried fruit and nuts. Delish!

With the fair day on our minds, I'm also thinking about raw caramel and nut butter-covered apples on a stick. I've made some in the past like this, but I found this cute idea for cutting apples into mini versions for the kiddos (and kids at heart).

Anyway, I've gotta get back to my kiddos. Have a great day ... and weekend, too :-)

*****

Before I go, here are some fun unbaking ideas for those of you with Halloween on the brain: