Saturday, November 10, 2007

Good green morning!



Good morning! I just started out my day with my usual workout, followed by a yummy green smoothie. Today, I loaded up the Blendtec with spinach, romaine, cilantro, mango, pineapple and peaches.

I just adore cilantro. I highly recommend combining it with mango in either a green smoothie, raw pudding or mango salsa. However, I will warn you that the flavor can be very strong, so unless you are as big a fan as I am of this delectable green, you might want to start with using only a little at a time.

I didn't realize how much more I appreciate the flavor of cilantro than the average person until I let my mom try one of my cilantro mango green smoothies on vacation this summer. She really liked it (this was her first dip into the world of green smoothies), but mentioned she would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been so heavy on the cilantro.

Now, my mom has added a green smoothie, almost daily, into her usual routine. She even got a Blendtec for her birthday, so she can easily blend her own green creations.

Anyone can make a green smoothie. All you have to do is combine a mix of your favorite greens in a blender with some liquid and fresh/frozen fruit of your choice. Pulverize the ingredients into a smooth, drinkable concoction (you don't want leafy green pieces still floating around to ruin the experience) and enjoy!


But, if you need some smoothie ideas to get started or to take things up a notch, here are some of my favorites: Green and Gone Smoothie (on the Gone Raw website), California Dreamin Wheatgrass Smoothie, Instant Karma Kale Breakfast Smoothie, Strawberry Maca Mudshake, Freaky Tiki and Stacy's Happy Shake.

7 comments:

Dhrumil said...

Great list of smoothie ideas to get people started. Thanks!

p.s. I posted this on the quickies page of welikeitraw.

shannonmarie said...

No problem. Thanks for leaving the comment. I wasn't sure if anyone was reading this.

Also, thanks for the mention on We Like It Raw. It is one of my favorite sites.

shannonmarie said...

Cool, I just checked out the "Quickies" page. But if I had known I was going to end up there, I would've at least put on some makeup this a.m. after my workout and before snapping this photo.

Oh well, it will just get another laugh from my family :-)

Kristen's Raw said...

Hi Shannonmarie! You're gorgeous and look fabulous...glowing!

I love your blendtec and your affair with cilantro. I'm right there with ya sista :) YUM! And, so good for you.

Keep up the great blog. Cheers!

shannonmarie said...

Hi Kristen. Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment. You actually inspired me to start a blog in the first place.

You look great, have a wonderfully contagious personality and an awesome website/business.

For anyone reading this that hasn't yet checked it out, you must take a look at www.kristensraw.com. She also has a blog; just insert "blogspot" into the address.

RawBin said...

I know I already told you this, but I thought it was so great that the day I bought a HUGE bundle of cilantro for my smoothies and salads was the same morning that you mentioned it here. Like minds? I like how Kristen'sRaw mentions your "affair with cilantro".
Then a few days later, this woman came into work totally smelling like cilantro. First I thought I was just craving my lunch... Then I thought she had been eating it or preparing it. I finally asked her but it turned out to be some ingredient in her hair conditioner!

shannonmarie said...

I gotta find out where she got her conditioner :-)