Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fauxtess Gone Raw


I'm actually posting these gems a couple days sooner than expected, but I just couldn't help myself. They're just so gosh darn cute.

It reminds me of a conversation I had yesterday with one of the moms at my work (I'm employed at a local pediatrician's office). She said God gives little kids adorable faces to make it easier to forgive them when they do something bad. Their expressions are meant to be irresistible.

Just like these babies, one of my favorite treats of all. You've probably figured that out already, if you've been reading my posts lately.

I even incorporated a layer of daisy-topped cupcakes into my wedding cake design when I got married 7 years ago. Although some people may have found it to be tacky at the time, I considered it to be fashion forward, as many others have followed suit since then.

Cupcakes are all the rage. Crowds line up early in the a.m. to purchase them from the Magnolia Bakery in New York, cupcake bloggers host get-togethers to sample each others small masterpieces while decked out in their best cupcake garb, Babycakes serves them up allergen-free with a guest spot on Martha and the dynamic vegan duo (Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero) put out an entire book dedicated to "75 dairy-free recipes for cupcakes that rule" (you may of heard of their ever so popular "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World").

Inspired by it all and unwilling to give up my cupcake desire, I've been mimicking these childhood obsessions, minus the baking process, in my own kitchen. And with a special occasion right around the corner, I decided now would be the perfect time to freshen up and rawify this classic.

Isa Chandra Moskowitz took the first step by veganizing this snack cake in "Vegan With A Vengeance," where she admits, "If I could eat one cupcake for the rest of my life, well, first I would wonder what I did to deserve such punishment, and then I would choose these. And I think I know someone that would agree with me - the entire country of America. These are my take on those cream-filled chocolate cupcakes with the swirls on top whose name shall not be mentioned."

And she did stick to her word, happily renaming them "fauxtess cupcakes," which have now gone raw in my kitchen. It doesn't get better than this.

Just like Isa, I had hoped to have a partner in crime to help me finish the job, but unfortunately, Rawbin couldn't get here in time to take part in the unbaking process. At least she stopped by for a quick visit and to pick up a raw fudgy cream-filled cupcake to go. She said I was "the hostess with the mostest" :-)