Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Matthew's pumpkin trifle


Who's Matthew? Well, my husband's name is Matthew, which is why this recipe caught my eye. However, he's not the Matthew that inspired the name of this trifle.

I came across this layered dessert, while flipping through the pages of a Better Homes and Gardens magazine at work. It was simple to make, perfect for the Thanksgiving holiday and it had my hubby's name in the title. I just had to rawify it.

The original recipe calls for pumpkin bread, whipped topping, pudding, pumpkin butter and a sprinkling of walnuts. All of these ingredients are piled up in a tiny cup for portion control.

It's no surprise that I whipped up one of my raw pumpkin spice cupcakes in place of the pumpkin bread. I sliced off the cap, filled it with raw cream and pumpkin butter (pumpkin puree combined with date paste, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice), and put more of cream and pumpkin butter on top. Then, I garnished it with some chopped walnuts (I used these maple ones).

So, how did it taste? Was it good? You bet your home and garden it was :-)