Thursday, November 20, 2008

Who says savory can't be fun?


Oops; I guess I did. If you recall my vampire breath post, you may remember me mentioning the fact that I don't post as many savory recipes, because "they're just not as fun to write about."

But tonight I'm posting an exception. Not yet ready to give up the cupcake theme, I decided to whip up a mini mock meatloaf and top it with some faux mashed potato icing (I wonder where I got that idea). It's accented with some green peas and a cherry (or in this case cherry tomato) on top. Now that's home uncook'n at its cutest.

The mock meatloaf is my own personal recipe, which I hid beneath a layer of Matt Amsden's Rawvolutionary Mashed "Potatoes." I won't be providing Mr. Amsden's recipe; for that, you'll have to pick up his book.

But, I can share the secret to making my meatless loaf. Embellish it however you like or construct your own savory masterpiece using another raw meatloaf recipe as the foundation. Have fun :-)


Two Mini Mock Meatloaves
1/2 cup walnuts
3 or 4 baby bella mushroom caps, diced
drizzle of Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1/2 Tbsp. miso
1 clove of garlic
1/2 cup finely ground almonds or almond pulp
1/4 cup grated zucchini
2 Tbsp. grated carrot
2 Tbsp. finely diced celery
1/4 cup finely diced onion
fresh ground pepper
cayenne pepper
poultry seasoning
parsley
*Your favorite raw ketchup or barbecue sauce (optional)

In a food processor, combine walnuts and diced mushrooms. Add a drizzle of Bragg's, along with the miso, garlic and all of the seasonings (pepper, cayenne, poultry seasoning and parsley), to taste. Process into a blended, yet chunky consistency.

Remove the "meat" from the food processor and put it in a bowl. Add the almond flour, zucchini, carrot, celery, onion and more of the parsley. Mix to combine and divide between two ramekins.

Top both mini loaves with your favorite raw ketchup or barbecue sauce recipe (I like the one from Juliano's book). "Bake" them in your dehydrator for a couple hours until warm and they appear "cooked" on top.