Monday, April 5, 2010

Look what the bunny brought in


Before the holiday weekend, I left you with a cute coconut "fluffy" bunny. As promised, I'll tell you more about him, but first I wanted to show you what he brought.

Actually, the bunny didn't really bring it, but "somebunny" did. I had requested the opportunity to try out some more Larabar flavors, so the company was kind enough to send me these four full-size bars (Peanut Butter & Jelly, which is right up my son's alley, a refreshing Lemon Bar, a more complex Tropical Fruit Tart and the traditional Apple Pie), as well as these cute little minis (a good representation of the other flavors, although not all of them).

Speaking of these fun-size mini samples, I used to wish they would sell them in variety packs (I actually mentioned it to a representative at the Green Festival a couple years ago), since they're perfect for snacking, filling Easter baskets, stockings, Halloween sacks, goody bags, etc. It looks as though my wish has been granted, because somebody got the memo; you can buy mini packs. Sweet!

Anyway, back to the sweet part of this post. How does one make that raw vegan bunny cupcake?

I had planned on using one of the recipes from my raw cupcake e-book (either the Bunny Spice Cupcake or the Creme-Filled Lemony Cupcake), but I opted instead to get crafty with one of my full-size Larabars (not quite the same, but still delicious in its own way). I crumbled up the Lemon Bar, reshaping it with one of my reusable silicone cupcake liners and making sure not to pack it too tight (it's now a "cake," rather than a bar).

Then, I frosted it with raw whipped icing, added some coconut flake "fur," strawberry ears and a nose, blueberry eyes, a cocoa/agave grin, lemon zest whiskers and an actual carrot (every bunny needs a carrot, right?). The results were so cute that I uploaded it on Martha Stewart's website. Do you think her producers will notice it? Her vegetarian daughter might.



*****

monday, april 5, 2010, continued ...................................................................................

More food and family photos

As you know, this isn't just a raw food blog; it is also a family diary of sorts. I like to use it as a place to share photos and what's happening in my life with friends and family. Here's a peek at our holiday weekend:

Of course, there was food. I brought a last-minute brainstorm of mine. The presentation was better in my mind, but you'll get the idea once I explain.

I envisioned little salad nests with fresh fruit "eggs." This one is a combination of a broccoli salad and a Waldorf salad, as it's made with broccoli slaw, cashew "mayo" (with some added EVOO, mustard powder, onion, garlic, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and dates for sweetness), raisins and sunflower seeds. It is topped with some multi-colored grape "eggs."

The other one is just a basic spinach salad in a homemade balsamic vinaigrette with a sprinkling of hemp seeds and tiny grape tomato "eggs." I sliced the spinach thinly to look like Easter grass.

This was Hayden's first Easter, so she had to participate in everything, including the plastic egg hunt (some of these eggs have probably been around since I was a kid). I think she was more interested in the basket.

Jacob did a better job. He actually filled his basket beyond the brim by the time all was said and done. Then, as part of our family tradition, he and the other kids hid the eggs they found, so the adults could race to find them. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Hope your family had a fun weekend, too :-)