Tuesday, January 15, 2008

You don't need a list to live life to the fullest


After posting about the Golden Globes, I found it only fitting to start out with a movie-related post. I already had motion pictures on my mind, so with the help of my favorite radio morning show, my topic today was a no-brainer.

I had planned on talking about how my mom, sister and I tried to take my son and nephews to the movies recently to see "Enchanted." Just a tip: don't try doing this during the holiday season.

First, we were running late, as usual. Then, my poor mom backed into my sister's car (luckily bumpers actually do serve a purpose; no damage was done).

When we arrived at the mall (the only nearby theater still showing our feature of choice within our desired time frame), it was packed, of course. My mom dropped us off to search for a parking space, while we went in to purchase tickets.

Once reaching the front of the line, we were disappointed to find out that there were a lot of other families who had the same idea. Our movie selection was sold out, so back in line we'll go (Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho; in the Disney spirit).

Unfortunately, there were no more tickets available for our backup flick, "Alvin and the Chipmunks," either (we did eventually see that one). In the end, we went home without a theater experience, but with a ridiculous story to tell. The kids were surprisingly in a good mood; it didn't phase them at all.

But, we still need to get back to the theater for them, as promised. Hopefully, it will be soon.

Tonight, my hubby has hinted to me that we'll finally be viewing "Juno," a movie recommended by Kristen, as well as my sister and brother-in-law (they just saw it, too). I can't wait.

As I've mentioned before, Kristen has become quite the master of sneaking raw treats into the theater with her (I have no idea how she pulls off the green smoothies). I usually opt for some trail mix, cookies or bars (it makes you feel so naughty to be getting away with something).

My favorite take-along snack at the moment is dried dragon fruit. It seems this blogger also shares my taste for these chewing, yet somehow crunchy treats.

Now, I'd love to find a rawified popcorn. I'll have to experiment with that one. I would usually make some pumpkin and/or sunflower seeds, seasoned with flax oil, nutritional yeast, sea salt and other spices. I've also heard of using the same flavorings on cauliflower, due to its popcorn-like shape.

But, wouldn't it be nice to have a substitute that's actually made out of corn? Don't they make some kind of freeze-dried corn snack? Would that be raw? I sense a challenge on my hands. Maybe something for my list.

What list you ask? The bucket list, like in the movie of the same name. Now, I wouldn't put it at the top of your must-see list, but it does spark some conversation.

On the radio this morning, members of a local morning show talked about the movie and made their own bucket lists, a list of 5 things they want to do before "kicking the bucket," so to speak. These were the things they would do if they found out they only had 1 year to live.

Although it may sound disturbing, it can be very motivating. What would you do?

I had an errand to run down at the beach, and was inspired by the beautiful surroundings and the bake shop (of all places) on the corner. Before it ever opened, I contemplated the thought of putting a my own bakery there, to showcase my bagels (I was making a lot of them at the time).

It's been a while since I've boiled and baked one of these dense breads, but I hear Alissa Cohen has the raw version down pat. I'm not so big on the raw grains, so now I focus more on nut- and seed-based "baked" goods.

So, one item on my bucket list, would be to open a raw bakery as suggested by Kristen. I'd have one year to really show the community what raw sweets and treats are all about.

However, I don't know how I would keep it up and running without me there all the time. I'd also like to travel, and in my travels, sample the fare from as many raw restaurants as possible (I've never actually been to one yet). Pure Food & Wine mallomars, here I come.

I would definitely finish that book I keep putting on the back burner, and maybe even sell a few t-shirts. I'd let my creativity run wild!

Now that's three; how about No. 4? I'd actually try to rid myself of many of my possessions and see what it would be like to live a simpler life. I once saw a blog post about trying to reduce them down to only 100 items or less. Sounds like a challenge.

Lastly, I would try to spend as much time as possible with those that I love. I would get them involved in numbers 1-4, as well as doing the things they enjoy. I'd also contact people I've lost touch with and let them know how much they've meant to me.

But, I don't have to wait until my last year of life to do a lot of those things. I'll get to work on some of them now (I've gotta call or send a note to my best friend/college roommate; it's been a while). Live life to the fullest. It truly is worth living :-)


Check out my Rudolph nose. It really is cold outside today. Jenny, I think we're going to get snow here tonight ... Actually, I just looked outside and it has already started. My son is so excited.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

good plans. . . i love musings like that and the conclusions (or rather openings!!) that often come from them. . .
and for the popcorn question. . . justtomatoes has freeze dried fruits and veggies (organic and conventional) and i love both the organic peas and corn. . . a bag of the corn (maybe even mixed with other veggies and the seasonings you mentioned)would be perfect to take into the theatre and I absolutely adore munching on these tasty treats. . .the bananas are good too when i'm in a pinch and can't dehydrate my own ( i like them still a bit soft, moist and chewy. . .mmmm)
thanks as always for the lovely posts to wander through and i'm so glad you're getting snow and the excitement that goes with it- happy snuggling
x jenny

Kristen's Raw said...

I can't wait to hear what you think about Juno. We're thinking of going to see it again, we loved it so much.

I sneak in the green smoothie (mason jar which is glass, and that I love, but it doesn't fit in the cup holder on the movie seat so I have to hold it during the movie) by carrying a medium sized back pack style purse. I leave the makeup bag and wallet at home and fill the purse with snacks and my green smoothie.

Kathy said...

Took my kids to see "Enchanted" on New Years Eve - Family tradition. It was a really cute movie! Well worth seeing with the family.

I would suggest that your sister goes to an allergist so that she can specify exactly what she is allergic to. I am allergic to certain fruits, but certain ones, like strawberries, grapes, blueberries grow on vines, not trees, so I'm not allergic. Same with peanuts - they don't grow on a tree, so I'm not allergic. Although a walnut would send me to the hospital for sure - cooked or raw! Other nuts, like almonds, I can eat blanched, but not raw. Strange.

See if she would be willing to be tested to factor out exactly what she is allergic too, it may help somewhat.

CoffeeAndCopyrights said...

I sneak things into the movies ALL the time. I'll try Kristen's green smoothie sneak next time. I bring raw balls and an apple. I'll bring the smoothie next time and a straw so that I'm not tilting my head back gulping green smoothie in the show!! BTW... JUNO rocked! Best movie of the year..wait it's only January..best movie til December I'm sure :)

Unknown said...

i LOVED juno!! it's HUGE here because the girl who wrote the screenplay is a hometown girl. and there are all these mpls references in the movie...

shannonmarie said...

Jenny, thanks for the just tomatoes suggestion. I'll have to check them out.

Kristen, I did see Juno last night. I laughed, I cried, I'm so glad I saw this movie.

I'll try the smoothie smuggle next time :-)

Kathy, I really need to get the kids to Enchanted. I've only heard glowing reviews.

We have been trying to get my sister to an allergist. She is just so busy. But, maybe she'll make some time if she hears she might not be allergic to as much as she thinks.

Thanks for the added movie smuggling tips Raw Fit Mama. I'll be packing a picnic in the future.

Alissa, you have a story about everything. I love it :-)